July 4th marks a day of celebration as our country honors the anniversary of our Independence from Great Britain on July 4th, 1776. Vermont sponsors a host of activities for participants of all ages. Here’s the complete schedule of events for our two favorite celebrations. Be sure to view our calendar for detailed information on each.
Bristol has carried on the 4th of July tradition for decades. Their two day celebration includes a famous outhouse race, parade, fireworks, live music and much, much more. Brandon also hosts an epic day. Read on for more details and schedule of events for 2015.
Friday, July 3rd – 6:00 p.m. at the ballpark
- Food and craft vendors
- Children’s games
- Raffle tickets on sale
- Live Music and plenty of it – entertainment by DJ Jam Man!
Saturday, July 4th – all day
- 7:30am 5k Road Race
- 9:00am Great Bristol Outhouse Race call 453-6396 for a list of the entries!
- 10:30am Wonderful Parade Begins! This is the oldest continuously run parade in the State of Vermont!
- 12:00 On the Green:
- Thursday, July 3th
- 6:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. Street Dance & Food Fest details
- Saturday Pre-Parade – July 4th
- Food: In Central Park the grills will be firing up early to provide a huge selection of your favorite food with all the trimmings. There will also be hand-crafted items for sale.
- Entertainment: From 10:00 – 12 you’ll find Karaoke on stage in the gazebo.
- Family Fun: From 10:00 – 12:30 behind the Brandon Inn we’ll have a bounce house, petting zoo, smoothie bike, loads of games and Steve Gratto on stilts, tying balloon animals to the delight of kids and adults alike.
- Juggling and unicycle: Steve Gratto performs at 11:15, behind the Inn.
- Pie Eating Contest: This long-awaited event is at 12:00, also behind the Brandon Inn.
- Silent Auction: Scores of donations are awaiting your bid at Fellowship Hall next to theCongregational Church, across from Central Park. Doors are open from 10 – 1 and from 2 – 3. This is our biggest fundraiser, so bid big!
Parade At 1 pm the signature event of the Celebration starts at the intersection of Park, High and Marble Streets. The parade marches down beautiful Park Street, through downtown, past our historic Town Hall, through Conant Square, and ends at Brandon Lumber (on Route 7, about a half-mile north of the Brandon Inn). There’ll be floats, bands, fire engines, antique tractors, antique cars and mush more!
- NEW THIS YEAR: The Keating Five takes over the gazebo in Central Park, immediately following the parade. This extraordinary group of local musicians puts together an eclectic mix of rock, reggae, ska, funk, blues—and then some—so be sure to stick around to shake your booty!
- Ball Race: No 4th of July is complete without the yearly ball race, over the falls at Green Park, just north of Central Park. The race is at 3:00.
Park Village (the old Brandon Training School just north of town)
- The fun continues at 5:00 with more food, fun, and float winner announcements.
- The DJ will be there from 5:30 to dusk.
- And then the count-down to the Fireworks at dusk. Brandon puts on a spectacular show that you won’t want to miss.
Donations are appreciated
If you’re traveling around the state for the 4th be sure to check out this great list of 4th activities on Find and Go Seek.
Have a happy and safe 4th!