It’s raining (again) and every member of the family wants to be outside, preferably at the nearest lake or playground! But when rainy weather forces us to remain indoors, Middlebury doesn’t disappoint with its offerings. Here’s a list of our favorite spring, summer and fall rainy day options.
1. A trip to Whirlies World is the perfect cure for rainy day blues. Thursday-Sunday they offer two bounce houses, arcade games, video games and laser tag for children of all ages, plus a snack bar and lots of prizes. Kids will LOVE to bounce off the walls here! Their hours chance frequently (often to accommodate rainy days), so be sure to double check their facebook page first.
2. Dance Party! – Whether its at your house, or better yet, at a friends house, dancing will help cooped up children get their energy out.
3. Shopping and playing at Junebug! While you pick up a few new (gently used) clothes for the kids, they can explore the toys and books in the playroom. Junebug also hosts Le Leche Legue meetings for nursing mothers.
4. Get creative. Here are a few unique art project ideas that are sure to impress even the most stir crazy kiddo. No mess marble painting, water color paper bunnies & paper airplanes. Need more ideas – check out MiniBury’s Pintrest page.
5. Go swimming! Vermont Sun offers an indoor heated full size pool, waterslide and kiddie pool. The pools are available for lap swimming, therapy or recreational fun during any hour the gym is open. Vermont Sun offers a wide range of use options including day fees, punch cards, monthly memberships, and more. Consider a punch card to the pool a special get out of the house pass for rainy (or snowy) days.
6. The Sheldon Musem is a favorite stop for art and history lovers. Little ones will love the hands-on learning room upstairs that features “old fashion” toys and clothes.
7. Host a rainy day parade. As long as it is not lightning out, why not grab your favorite boots and some colorful umbrellas and go for a rainy day parade? Kids will love heading out into the yard and trekking around the neighborhood while getting sprinkled on. March, splash, sing, and just have fun getting sprinkled on.
9. We love a trip to the Ilsely Public Library on rainy days. Between the daily programming, trains, puzzles and the cozy spots for reading, there is something for everyone at Ilsley. And did you know that they have a large collection of dvds? Which leads us to our last suggestion…
10. End the day with a family movie night. Whether it’s an outing to the Marquis Theatre in Middlebury, or you watch something at home, enjoy watching together as a family and don’t forget the popcorn!