The Middlebury Amateur Hockey Association was all set to begin its season at Memorial Sports Center last week when the governor’s executive order suspended all youth and adult recreational hockey until December 15. Memorial Sport Center has decided to make lemonade out of those lemons.
The center is now letting families rent out its entire rink for private skating, hockey or broomball fun. You can even put music on the loudspeakers and switch on the disco ball.
Learn-to-skate bars, like the one pictured above, will be available for little ones. The rink is not offering rental skates this year, but Junebug plans to have both hockey and figure skates for sale in the store by this weekend.
“We are super excited about this campaign,” Memorial Sports Center Manager Rick Marshall wrote in an email to MiniBury. “It allows a family to get some exercise and enjoy a full sheet of ice at a highly discounted rate. At the same time, it allows the MSC to realize some revenue to help keep the ice in place and offset some of our energy and maintenance expenses. All in full compliance with the Governor’s order of 11/13.”
Here are more details from the rink’s website:
“Memorial Sports Center needs your help to keep our ice in place and in great shape. We’re now offering Vermont families discounted private ice rentals, giving your household the chance to have fun and get some exercise together in a safe indoor facility. You can come out and skate for fun or bring your hockey gear and work on getting ready for the 2020-21 season.
“Ice rental slots are available for a minimum donation of $50 per hour and will be reserved via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. During your reserved time you get to choose your on-ice activity, what music is playing, and even if you want the disco ball spinning!
“This activity is organized in response to the Executive Order issued by Governor Scott on 11/13/2020. All participants during your rental time must be Vermont residents and limited to only members of a single household. Individuals who live alone may gather with members of their immediate family residing in a different household. Only immediate family members of a household can attend a Family Rental session. Friends and extended family are expressly prohibited.“
Family Rental Instructions:
- Arrive no earlier than 15 minutes before your rental. The front door will be automatically unlocked at that time.
- Upon entry, turn on LED lights with 2 switches inside and to the right of the entry door
- Payment in cash or check (payable to Friends of Middlebury Hockey) can be left in drop box across from locker room 2. Write family name on outside of envelope. Card and electronic payment methods are being developed.
- Complete the Contact Tracing form at the ticket counter inside the first-floor vestibule. Forehead temperature scanners are available at the ticket counter. Store the form in the file cabinet behind the counter in the top drawer in the folder for that day of week.
- Sanitization supplies are also available at the ticket counter for your use
- Lace skates and, if needed, put on hockey gear while on the benches in the west end of rink. Follow signage for restroom use.
- The PA will be available in the scorer’s booth. MP3 players, iPods, CDs, thumb drives can be played. The disco ball switch keys can be made available upon request in advance
- In addition to standard nets, other smaller nets are available on the home bench. Please return them when done.
- Rental skates are not available at this time.
- Exit the facility no later than 15 minutes after your rental
- Turn off the LED lights upon exit. The front door will be locked automatically after your rental.
- Please note that the ice will not be resurfaced after every rental. Ice conditions will be monitored and resurfaced only when necessary.